Saturday, July 14th, 2007
Well, the week is over -- and still no apology, no retraction, no correction of your glaring mistakes.
I bet you thought my dust-up with Wolf Blitzer was just a cool ratings coup, that you really wouldn't have to correct the false statements you made about "Sicko." I bet you thought I was just going to go quietly away.
Think again. I'm about to become your worst nightmare. 'Cause I ain't ever going away. Not until you set the record straight, and apologize to your viewers. "The Most Trusted Name in News?" I think it's safe to say you can retire that slogan.
You have an occasional segment called "Keeping Them Honest." But who keeps you honest? After what the public saw with your report on "Sicko," and how many inaccuracies that report contained, how can anyone believe anything you say on your network? In the old days, before the Internet, you could get away with it. Your victims had no way to set the record straight, to show the viewers how you had misrepresented the truth. But now, we can post the truth -- and back it up with evidence and facts -- on the web, for all to see. And boy, judging from the mail both you and I have been receiving, the evidence I have posted on my site about your "Sicko" piece has led millions now to question your honesty.
I won't waste your time rehashing your errors. You know what they are. What I want to do is help you come clean. Admit you were wrong. What is the shame in that? We all make mistakes. I know it's hard to admit it when you've screwed up, but it's also liberating and cathartic. It not only makes you a better person, it helps prevent you from screwing up again. Imagine how many people will be drawn to a network that says, "We made a mistake. We're human. We're sorry. We will make mistakes in the future -- but we will always correct them so that you know you can trust us." Now, how hard would that really be?
As you know, I hold no personal animosity against you or any of your staff. You and your parent company have been very good to me over the years. You distributed my first film, "Roger & Me" and you published "Dude, Where's My Country?" Larry King has had me on twice in the last two weeks. I couldn't ask for better treatment.
That's why I was so stunned when you let a doctor who knows a lot about brain surgery -- but apparently very little about public policy -- do a "fact check" story, not on the medical issues in "Sicko," but rather on the economic and political information in the film. Is this why there has been a delay in your apology, because you are trying to get a DOCTOR to say he was wrong? Please tell him not to worry, no one is filing a malpractice claim against him. Dr. Gupta does excellent and compassionate stories on CNN about people's health and how we can take better care of ourselves. But when it came time to discuss universal health care, he rushed together a bunch of sloppy -- and old -- research. When his producer called us about his report the day before it aired, we sent to her, in an email, all the evidence so that he wouldn't make any mistakes on air. He chose to ignore ALL the evidence, and ran with all his falsehoods -- even though he had been given the facts a full day before! How could that happen? And now, for 5 days, I have posted on my website, for all to see, every mistake and error he made.
You, on the other hand, in the face of this overwhelming evidence and a huge public backlash, have chosen to remain silent, probably praying and hoping this will all go away.
Well it isn't. We are now going to start looking into the veracity of other reports you have aired on other topics. Nothing you say now can be believed. In 2002, the New York Times busted you for bringing celebrities on your shows and not telling your viewers they were paid spokespeople for the pharmaceutical companies. You promised never to do it again. But there you were, in 2005, talking to Joe Theismann, on air, as he pushed some drug company-sponsored website on prostate health. You said nothing about about his affiliation with GlaxoSmithKline.
Clearly, no one is keeping you honest, so I guess I'm going to have to do that job, too. $1.5 billion is spent each year by the drug companies on ads on CNN and the other four networks. I'm sure that has nothing to do with any of this. After all, if someone gave me $1.5 billion, I have to admit, I might say a kind word or two about them. Who wouldn't?!
I expect CNN to put this matter to rest. Say you're sorry and correct your story -- like any good journalist would.
Then we can get back to more important things. Like a REAL discussion about our broken health care system. Everything else is a distraction from what really matters.
Yours,Michael Mooremmflint@aol.com www.michaelmoore.com
P.S. If you also want to apologize for not doing your job at the start of the Iraq War, I'm sure most Americans would be very happy to accept your apology. You and the other networks were willing partners with Bush, flying flags all over the TV screens and never asking the hard questions that you should have asked. You might have prevented a war. You might have saved the lives of those 3,610 soldiers who are no longer with us. Instead, you blew air kisses at a commander in chief who clearly was making it all up. Millions of us knew that -- why didn't you? I think you did. And, in my opinion, that makes you responsible for this war. Instead of doing the job the founding fathers wanted you to do -- keeping those in power honest (that's why they made it the FIRST amendment) -- you and much of the media went on the attack against the few public figures like myself who dared to question the nightmare we were about to enter. You've never thanked me or the Dixie Chicks or Al Gore for doing your job for you. That's OK. Just tell the truth from this point on.
- ► 2008 (50)
- Y ................
- AL USAR SU DEBIT CARD, PUDIERA ESTAR REGALANDO SU ...
- A 7 MILLAS DE VENEZUELA ESTA NACIENDO UNA NUEVA IS...
- REPUBLICA DOMINICANA ENTRE LOS 10 MEJORES DE LOS P...
- 10 TIPS PARA REDUCIR EL "Stress"
- 30 DE JULIO EN LA HISTORIA
- LOS LATINOS CAMBIAN LA CARA DEL BASEBALL
- UNAS VAN DE CAL....
- AQUAFINA NO TAN FINA
- THE COUNTDOWN
- IMAGENES DE ACCIDENTE EN LA RUTA I-75
- DESCUBREN UNA MASCARA DE HIERRO, DE MAS DE 3.000 A...
- LOS TITULARES DEL DOMINGO EN PORTADAS..
- 10 TIPS PARA REDUCIR EL "Stress"
- HOW THEY LOST 100 LBS.
- LA INCONFORMIDAD DEL DOMINICANO video
- EL DEBATE CNN---YOUTUBE
- ELIJE UN CEREBRO PARA BUSH GAME
- DOMINICANO SACA MAS ORO DE RIO!!!!!
- EN COLOMBIA
- LOS AMERICANOS ACABAN CON EL DEPORTE
- UN GATO EN RI QUE PREDICE LA MUERTE
- LA PATRIA ES DE TODOS
- A LOS SEDIENTOS DE LA SHELL LE PONEN UN "STOP"
- LAS PORTADAS DE LOS DOMINGOS DE ALGUNOS PERIODICOS...
- DICIENDO LO QUE OTRO PIENSAN , POR SARA PEREZ
- ELLOS SON DOMINICANOS Y SE ENTIEDEN..JA!!!
- TAVEZ EL JODIO METRO...PODRIA AYUDAR?
- Y DE DONDE CARAJO ...LO VAN A SACAR?
- SI NO PUEDO IR A LA PLAYA LA TRAIGO HACIA MI
- LA OTRA CARA DE IRAQ
- COMO HACER UN MOJITO
- COMO HACER UN ZOMBIE
- COMER BIEN PARA PREVENIR ENFERMEDADES....DIME LO Q...
- Las nuevas 7 maravillas del mundo
- 21 DE JULIO EN LA HISTORIA
- Emilio Prud'Homme
- THE COUNTDOWN
- GRAFICA DE QUIEN ENPINA MAS EL CODO, EN REP. DOM.?...
- ¿Qué es un haitiano?
- ANTES DE COMPRAR SU IPHONE CHECK THIS....
- USAR EL IPOD CUANDO HAY TORMENTAS PUEDES SER FATAL...
- HACE TRES AÑOS QUE SE ESTRENO Y TODAVIA PARECE SER...
- An Open Letter to CNN from Michael Moore
- sicko se la coje con cnn... porque no le dice la v...
- ATLETAS QUE REPRESENTAN A LA REPUBLICA DOMINICANA ...
- EL EQUIPO DOMINICANO DE BASEBALL REPRESENTANDO A R...
- DE IRAK A RIO video
- AHI SI NO RELAJAN ...TOMA!!!!
- LOS SUICIDIOS EN LOS HOMBRES ES MAS ALTO QUE EN LA...
- DOMINICANA QUIERE TIRAR LINEA DE ROPA Y SALE DEL C...
- COCINANDO AL CARBRON
- EL MAPA DE LA LUNA
- A subasta el coche más antiguo que aún funciona
- Amazon's monster mystery
- EL RESULTADO DE DONDE TE DAN MEJOR CUIDADO DE SALU...
- TOP 10 EN GASTOS EN IRAK
- EL PRECIO DEL PODER
- LEASE EN ALABAMA
- The Road Home
- GUANTES DE ORO DE LOS DOMINICANOS EN LAS MAYORES
- THE COUNTDOWN
- DOMINICANOS QUE FUERON LIDERES EN PONCHETES EN LA...
- DOMINICANOS CAMPEONES DE BATEO EN UN AÑO
- PITCHERS DOMINICANOS CON MAS JUEGOS GANADOS EN UNA...
- PITHERS DOMINICANOS CON MEJOR EFECTIVIDAD EN TODA ...
- LIDERERES EN ROBO DE BASE EN TODA LA LIGA
- DOMINICANOS QUE HAN LIDERADO CON CUADRANGULARE...
- LOS MVP DOMINICANOS DE SERIES MUNDIALES
- DOMINICANOS CON EL PREMIO MANAGER DEL AÑO
- DOMINICANOS GANADORES DEL PREMIO CY YOUNG PEDRO MA...
- PARA LA HISTORIA
- PORQUE ESTADOS UNIDOS, NO PARA LA IMPORTACION DE A...
- DOMINICANOS QUE HAN GANADO EL "MVP" EN JUEGOS DE ...
- EN 1977 JOSE VELEZ DEDICO ESTA LINDA CANCION A SAN...
- EL 750TH DE BONDS... 751st...
- ▼ julio (80)
- NOTICIAS (80)
- VIDEO (40)
- baseball 2007 (40)
- PORTADAS (16)
- FARANDULA (10)
- SOSA (10)
- ENTRETENIMIENTO (9)
- CARICATURA (8)
- MUSICA (8)
- OBAMA (8)
- VIDA (8)
- fotos (8)
- EFEMERIDES (5)
- ABUSOS (4)
- CITAS (4)
- DEPORTADOS (4)
- DEPORTES (4)
- ARTE (3)
- CORRUPCION (3)
- DOMINICOSA (3)
- ESPIONAJE (3)
- balaguer (3)
- politica (3)
- BLOG (2)
- DOMINICANOS (2)
- EDITORIAL (2)
- ENCUESTAS (2)
- LEYES (2)
- POEMILLA (2)
- SOCIALISMO (2)
- arqueologia (2)
- chavez (2)
- gobierno (2)
- DOWNLOW (1)
- ENTREVISTAS (1)
- FUTURO (1)
- GAME (1)
- GASOLINA (1)
- HISTORIA (1)
- HISTORIA DOMINICANA (1)
- HURACANES (1)
- IGLESIA (1)
- ILEGALES (1)
- LADRONES (1)
- LEONEL (1)
- LIBROS (1)
- NARCOTRAFICO (1)
- OPINION (1)
- PARQUES (1)
- PELICULA (1)
- PERSONAJES (1)
- TERREMOTO (1)
- TRAGOS (1)
- cuba (1)
- duarte (1)
- espacio (1)
- metafisica (1)
- patria (1)